June 27, 2012
SARASOTA – Tropical storm Debby left lots of rain on Florida, and even washed out a few beaches. But at Sarasota’s Siesta Key, somehow the sand survived the wave action. One day after the storm, the beach is fine, though there are still some puddles near the concession area.
Above, a video taken the Wednesday after the storm.
January 9, 2012
LAKE BUENA VISTA – We thought this was an entirely fascinating image of Blizzard Beach, found on Flickr. Sort of a painting effect.
April 3, 2011
WINTER HAVEN – The staff of Legoland Florida this March gave local media a look at construction on the highly anticipated park, which is situated on the grounds of historic Cypress Gardens.
At a press tour, officials showed the overall design of the 150-acre park, unveiling a conceptual map outlining the 10 themed zones. They also asserted that construction is on target for an October debut. Read more
January 28, 2011
JACKSONVILLE – New to the Museum of Science and History is Florida’s largest digital planetarium. This new addition includes a 60-foot dome theater. The programming reaches beyond astronomy to include history and natural science, blockbuster films and documentaries. See www.themosh.org
May 28, 2009
FORT LAUDERDALE – Some pretty amazing new summer deals, put together by Fort Lauderdale. The attraction discounts are nice, but what’s really potent are the deals at hotels like the Ritz-Carlton Fort Lauderdale and the Westin Diplomat. Click on the bold name for a link to the hotel or attraction website.
Here we go with the list:
- Atlantic Coast Kayaks: Explore 300 miles of waterways from idyllic mangrove estuaries to the downtown Greater Fort Lauderdale skyline on guided or independent tours. 2-for-1 Offer – Purchase one guided kayak tour or half-day rental and a companion can kayak for no additional charge.-
- Billie Swamp Safari: Explore 2,200 untamed acres of Florida Everglades via airboat and swamp buggy eco-tours. 2-for-1 Offer – For every paid adult ticket for a swamp buggy tour, a child can ride free
- The Spa on the Broadwalk @ Hollywood Beach Marriott:- A boutique spa with a quaint charm for those searching for a peaceful state of bliss. 2-for-1 Offer – Purchase one spa treatment (including facial, manicure or pedicure) and get the second treatment of equal or lesser value free
- Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale: Set in Downtown Fort Lauderdale, the Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale features a spectrum of artists and critically renowned exhibits such as its latest addition “With You I Want To Live.” 2-for-1 Offer- Buy one admission, receive the second free
- South Florida Diving Headquarters: Travelers can enjoy a snorkeling trip which visits a living coral reef as well as the Copenhagen shipwreck. 2-for-1 Offer – Two-for-one admission for a snorkel or glass bottom boat trip
- M. Cruz Rentals: Experience Hugh Taylor Birch State Park and Fort Lauderdale gliding on a Segway. 2-for-1 Offer – Buy one hour segway tour and get one hour free
- Ritz Carlton, Fort Lauderdale: Pack Your Bags offer – Family Reconnect Package – Starting at $289 a night, the package includes accommodations, American breakfast for two adults and two children at Cero Restaurant and a $50 daily resort credit. To book call (954) 465-2300. Valid through October 30, 2009.
- Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa Florida Getaway Package – Beginning at $199 a night, package includes deluxe accommodations, $50 daily resort credit, free parking and complimentary use of the resort’s beach chairs and umbrellas. Use promotional code FR6 for online bookings or call (800)222-6543 and ask for rate code FLDT. Valid through September 30, 2009.
- The Pillars at New River Sound: Stay two nights and get and additional night for $99 or stay for 5 nights and get two nights free. To book call (954)467-9639. Valid through October 15, 2009
- The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa: Save 20% off the best available rate when booking online through the hotel’s website of by calling (866) 716-8108 and mentioning SET#351186. Valid through October 30, 2009.
- Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina: Beginning at $99 a night receive overnight accommodations, two welcome cocktails and two complimentary bathrobes. Travel can be booked through the hotel’s website or call (866) 450-9990. Valid through October 27, 2009.
- Embassy Suites Deerfield Beach Resort & Spa: Beginning at $149 a night receive deluxe accommodations, a $20 massage discount at Spa950 and 20% discount for four at BT’s Oceanfront. To book call (954) 312-2017. Valid through September 30, 2009.
- Deerfield Buccaneer Resort Apartments: Stay four nights and receive the last night of your stay free. Rates start at $110 a nights. To book call (954) 421-9306. Valid through December 1, 2009.
May 19, 2009
DESTIN – Beach lovers can celebrate the official beginning of summer at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, where families and friends come together each year to celebrate Memorial Day.
Sandestin is hosting a great line up of Memorial Day free events. Join the fun at The Village of Baytowne Wharf beginning Friday, May 23 through Memorial Day, Monday May 26.
- On Saturday and Sunday, children can cool off on the Roaring River
- Slide in the Village from 10 am to 8 p.m.
- At 6 p.m. each evening, bring the kids for crafts and sandcastle building until 9.
- On Friday, bring a blanket and come out and watch the movie “Hannah Montana” under the stars, where 3-D glasses will be provided.
- Additional events include live music on Friday and Saturday from Coconut Radio, a three piece acoustic group.
- On Saturday, listen to a Pops concert 8 p.m. in cooperation with the Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra Guild.
- On Sunday, don’t miss the annual Memorial Day Weekend Fireworks extravaganza at 9:15 p.m.
- The extended weekend concludes on Monday at 2:30 p.m. with a 30 minute program to salute veterans.
Admission to all events are free. Sandestin also offers a terrific value on overnight accommodations including a 25 percent discount on selected room types, plus other free offers like two free zipline passes or even free breakfast for two with overnight accommodations at the Bayside Inn. Call 1-866-91-BEACH or book online for additional savings at www.sandestin.com. Please mention codes 2292ET or 2292EU.
May 19, 2009
MIAMI - The Children’s Trust 2009 Family Expo, sponsored by Target, will host its third annual, FREE, all-day festival to provide parents with direct access to educational, health and social services in a fun and festive atmosphere, at the Miami-Dade County Fair & Expo Center, 10901 Coral Way, on Saturday, May 30th from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Already the largest free event of its kind in our community, with record crowds of more than 25,000 in prior years, The Children’s Trust is expanding to accommodate the growing attendance. For the first time, The Children’s Trust Family Expo will take place in both on-site exhibit halls, featuring workshops and more than 200 exhibitors showcasing information about summer and after-school programs, injury prevention, vaccinations, programs for children with special needs, Pre-K registration, KidCare and much, much more.
Each hall will have stages packed with entertainment; face painting; balloon sculpture; magicians; and character greeting for children to meet Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora, Diego and PBS Kids’ Clifford the Big Red Dog, Arthur, Alpha Pit and others. A special reading corner will feature storytelling and free books to take home. Target is providing an arts & craft area and free water at its Hydration Station. Mobile units, bounce houses and rock climbing walls will remain outside. The Children’s Trust will give away free gifts to the first 3,000 children. Admission, parking, all activities and entertainment are free. Food will be sold by vendors of the Miami-Dade County Fair and Exposition Center.
“In these difficult economic times with so many families in need, an event like this becomes even more important to connect families to valuable services and especially in a fun and entertaining atmosphere that provides families with an opportunity to share quality time together at little or no cost to them,” said Modesto E. Abety, President and CEO of The Children’s Trust. “At a time when most corporate sponsorship is diminishing, we are fortunate to have significant support from Target to make the expansion of this event possible.”
The sponsorship grant is part of an ongoing effort by Target to strengthen families and communities throughout the country. Since opening its doors, Target has given 5 percent of its income to organizations that support education, the arts, social services and volunteerism. Today that equals more than $3 million every week.
“At Target, our local grants are making a difference in the communities we serve,” said Laysha Ward, president, community relations, Target. “We’re proud to partner with The Children’s Trust as part of our ongoing commitment to give back to the communities where our guests and team members live and work.”
For more information about The Children’s Trust Family Expo, call 211 The Children’s Trust Helpline or visit www.thechildrenstrust.org.
May 15, 2009
MIAMI - Perry Ellis International (NASDAQ:PERY) announced the grand opening of its first Cubavera retail store in the United States. Located in the international terminal of Miami International Airport between concourses H and J, the store will invite travelers from around the world to sample the Cubavera lifestyle when visiting this gateway city.
“Miami’s fusion of cultures and influences makes it the ideal location for the first Cubavera domestic retail store,” said Gary Rubin, President of Retail for Perry Ellis International, in a press release. “We look forward to expanding brand recognition via this highly visible venue as well as providing visitors with a one-stop destination for apparel, accessories and gifts with Latin flavor.”
May 11, 2009
ORLANDO – Golfers seeking more than just a few hours on the course will find their own happy spot at the AAA Four Diamond Rosen Shingle Creek hotel and award-winning Shingle Creek Golf Club. The 18-hole, par 72 (7,228 yard) David Harman designed Shingle Creek Golf Club is known as one of the best places to play in Florida.
Shingle Creek Golf Club is also home to the Brad Brewer Golf Academy. The 1,500-room luxury hotel is conveniently located at 9939 Universal Blvd., just off the International Drive tourist district and ten minutes from the Orlando International Airport. www.shinglecreekgolf.com or www.rosenshinglecreek.com.
May 2, 2009
MIAMI - Sony Electronics is opening a new Sony Style store in the Aventura Mall.
From the Reader digital ebook to the stylish new Webbie camcorder which comes in colors like eggplant and pumpkin and uses flash memory to store high definition video easily to share with friends and family, there are plenty of gift options.
During May, Sony Style is offering special promotions on all digital imaging devices including Cyber-shot cameras and Handycam camcorders to help consumers capture special moments affordably.
Additionally, Backstage Premium Technical PC Services are available in-store, and are provided by Sony Certified Technicians. Services include new VAIO PC Set-up, software installations, memory upgrades, post-sales PC service and repair facilitation for VAIO PCs. Backstage service enriches VAIO PC ownership throughout the life of a VAIO PC offering value and peace of mind. Regardless of where the product was purchased, personalized care is provided at each of our Sony Style stores by dedicated and certified Sony technicians.
Sony Style at the Aventura Mall is the 45th Sony Style store in the United States. Additional information about Sony Style stores can be found at www.sonystyle.com/retail.