May 18, 2011
MIAMI – This summer, Discovery Cruise Line is offering its cruises free to one child under 12 per family. Said Hanns J. Hahn, Vice President and General Manager of Discovery, “We know that economic conditions have provided challenges for families wanting to vacation together, so we want to make it easier by offering free cruises to at least one child under 12 in a family.”
February 10, 2011
WEST PALM BEACH – Photographer Cheryl Maeder-Antonio rus the garden furniture shop Gardenhouse in West Palm. She loves to find classic terrace furniture for repainting and refurbishment particularly iron. At 437 Northwood Road, West Palm Beach FL 561-832-8260 or gardenhousedecor.net
January 25, 2011
In this Gulf Coast city, Bay Haven was one of the two original elementary schools. Opened in 1926, it was designed by M. Leo Elliott in the Mediterranean Revival style. Its twin is Sarasota’s Southside Elementary, which is a public school of high esteem.
The school is now Bay Haven School of Basics Plus.
May 2, 2010
DELRAY BEACH – The Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens presents the Masterpieces of Japanese Lacquerware from the Collection of Dr. Elizabeth E. Force until June 13. This exhibition introduces Morikami visitors to Japanese lacquerware through 40 superb examples from the 18th and 19th centuries.
Some of these pieces include ornately decorated medicine cases, incense containers, document-storage boxes, writing sets and pieces from a local private collection. For museum hours and admission prices, see www.morikami.org or call 561-495-0233.
February 26, 2010
KISSIMMEE – In an unwise decision, civic leaders in this town are planning to demolish the town’s shuffleboard courts. They date from 1941 and are the Kast Shuffleboard Courts.
July 18, 2009
MIAMI – If you want to take a bit of Cuban Florida home, grab a package of Cafe Bustelo coffee to take home.
The espresso coffee is a Florida classic, made even more interesting because they sell a canned chilled version of the drink, and have a Cafe Bustelo shop at the Hotel Gaansevort. Read more
May 28, 2009
FORT LAUDERDALE – Some pretty amazing new summer deals, put together by Fort Lauderdale. The attraction discounts are nice, but what’s really potent are the deals at hotels like the Ritz-Carlton Fort Lauderdale and the Westin Diplomat. Click on the bold name for a link to the hotel or attraction website.
Here we go with the list:
- Atlantic Coast Kayaks: Explore 300 miles of waterways from idyllic mangrove estuaries to the downtown Greater Fort Lauderdale skyline on guided or independent tours. 2-for-1 Offer – Purchase one guided kayak tour or half-day rental and a companion can kayak for no additional charge.-
- Billie Swamp Safari: Explore 2,200 untamed acres of Florida Everglades via airboat and swamp buggy eco-tours. 2-for-1 Offer – For every paid adult ticket for a swamp buggy tour, a child can ride free
- The Spa on the Broadwalk @ Hollywood Beach Marriott:- A boutique spa with a quaint charm for those searching for a peaceful state of bliss. 2-for-1 Offer – Purchase one spa treatment (including facial, manicure or pedicure) and get the second treatment of equal or lesser value free
- Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale: Set in Downtown Fort Lauderdale, the Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale features a spectrum of artists and critically renowned exhibits such as its latest addition “With You I Want To Live.” 2-for-1 Offer- Buy one admission, receive the second free
- South Florida Diving Headquarters: Travelers can enjoy a snorkeling trip which visits a living coral reef as well as the Copenhagen shipwreck. 2-for-1 Offer – Two-for-one admission for a snorkel or glass bottom boat trip
- M. Cruz Rentals: Experience Hugh Taylor Birch State Park and Fort Lauderdale gliding on a Segway. 2-for-1 Offer – Buy one hour segway tour and get one hour free
- Ritz Carlton, Fort Lauderdale: Pack Your Bags offer – Family Reconnect Package – Starting at $289 a night, the package includes accommodations, American breakfast for two adults and two children at Cero Restaurant and a $50 daily resort credit. To book call (954) 465-2300. Valid through October 30, 2009.
- Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa Florida Getaway Package – Beginning at $199 a night, package includes deluxe accommodations, $50 daily resort credit, free parking and complimentary use of the resort’s beach chairs and umbrellas. Use promotional code FR6 for online bookings or call (800)222-6543 and ask for rate code FLDT. Valid through September 30, 2009.
- The Pillars at New River Sound: Stay two nights and get and additional night for $99 or stay for 5 nights and get two nights free. To book call (954)467-9639. Valid through October 15, 2009
- The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa: Save 20% off the best available rate when booking online through the hotel’s website of by calling (866) 716-8108 and mentioning SET#351186. Valid through October 30, 2009.
- Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina: Beginning at $99 a night receive overnight accommodations, two welcome cocktails and two complimentary bathrobes. Travel can be booked through the hotel’s website or call (866) 450-9990. Valid through October 27, 2009.
- Embassy Suites Deerfield Beach Resort & Spa: Beginning at $149 a night receive deluxe accommodations, a $20 massage discount at Spa950 and 20% discount for four at BT’s Oceanfront. To book call (954) 312-2017. Valid through September 30, 2009.
- Deerfield Buccaneer Resort Apartments: Stay four nights and receive the last night of your stay free. Rates start at $110 a nights. To book call (954) 421-9306. Valid through December 1, 2009.
May 9, 2009
ORLANDO – Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista in the Marriott Village is offering guests $25 of food and beverage credit for every night stayed.
Recently awarded the 2009 TripAdvisor’s Traveler’s Choice Award as a Top Ten Family Hotel in the United States, this Orlando family hotel is both playful and accommodating for families and is an Official Walt Disney World Good Neighbor Hotel.
The $25 Food & Beverage Credit Orlando Hotel Discount Package includes:
- One $25 food and beverage credit per night stayed
- Complimentary high-speed Internet and parking
- Complimentary breakfast at all hotels (except Courtyard)
- Rates from $89-$189 per room, per night
- Package valid through March 1, 2010
Be sure that the promotional code ES7 appears in the Corporate/ Promotional code box when making your online reservation, or call 1-800-228-9290 in the US and ask for promotional code ES7.
May 6, 2009
MIAMI - Discovery Cruise Line, which offers cruise service between South Florida and Grand Bahama Island every day of the week except Wednesdays, announced that during the month of May, mothers and mothers-in-law will sail free on a Fun Day cruise when accompanied by a full-fare paying adult. The offer is good for new bookings from Fort Lauderdale only.
“We wanted to do something special, but not just for the day,” says Hanns J. Hahn, general manager of the cruise line. “So, we decided that if someone brings their mom or mother-in-law on board at any time during the month we will give them a gift of a free cruise. Or, if they want to cruise and stay over in Grand Bahama, we will give them a partial credit for their vacation. Everyone needs a break, and this makes it affordable to just about everyone. The only expense for the Mother or Mother-in-Law is the $20 Bahamian departure and harbor fees.”
Discovery sails from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale to Grand Bahama Island, departing at 7:45 am and returning at 10 pm. Discovery offers same day roundtrip cruises as well as cruise and stay vacation packages at a wide selection of hotels from budget to deluxe, including Pelican Bay at Lucaya, Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort, Taino Beach Resort & Clubs, Viva Wyndham Fortuna (all-inclusive), and The Westin Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort.
On Grand Bahama you will experience an entirely different culture, extraordinary beaches, interesting excursions, and brand new adventures. Activities include snorkeling, caves, kayaking, fishing, diving, golf, eco-adventures, duty-free shopping, swim with the dolphins and a strawmarket.
Offer good for new bookings from Fort Lauderdale only. Call 1-888-377-2784 or visit www.discoverycruiseline.com.
May 1, 2009
A roundup of specials in the South Florida area for upcoming Mother’s Day:
CANYON RANCH: Give Mom a glimpse of the wellness philosophy that the Canyon Ranch lifestyle is rooted in with an ocean-side brunch at Canyon Ranch Grill followed by a complimentary Express Manicure at Canyon Ranch Salon all for $39. The brunch features a selection of sumptuous organic choices including chilled avocado soup with shrimp and grapefruit salsa, Mongolian marinated bison tenderloin with shittake mushrooms and dessert items. Included in this package is a Canyon Ranch Cook Booklet, 10 percent discount on salon services until June 30th, 10% off Living Essentials, $5 off Chef Scott’s “Nourish” cookbook and Rose product samples. 305-514-7474. Read more