IKEA Opens In Tampa
April 30, 2009
IKEA, the world’s leading home furnishings retailer, opens on May 6. And those are the some of the first names that come to the top of our heads when we think of IKEA.
IKEA Tampa is the Swedish company’s 3rd store and restaurant destination in Florida; its other locations in Orlando and near Fort Lauderdale in Sunrise.
The 353,000-square-foot IKEA Tampa is located on 29 acres along Adamo Drive at 22nd Street and the Crosstown Expressway, adjacent to the Ybor City historic business district. The store employs 400 coworkers and features 10,000 exclusively-designed items, a 350-seat IKEA Restaurant, 49 inspirational room settings, three model home interiors, a supervised children’s play area and approximately 1,600 parking spaces.
The May 6 opening ceremony will include Tampa City Council Chairman and District 5 Councilmember Thomas Scott raising the U.S. flag, Honorary Swedish Consul for Florida B-G Holmberg raising the Swedish flag and Special Assistant to the Governor Michelle Todd raising the Florida flag. IKEA Tampa coworker Jenn Esteves and Carol Downing from Blossom Montessori School for the Deaf in Clearwater will serve as sign language interpreters of the flag anthems and speakers’ remarks. Entertainment for customers waiting in line will begin at 6 a.m. EDT. “Just as our store will bring the unique IKEA family-friendly shopping experience to the greater Tampa Bay area and throughout Florida’s west coast, we are thrilled to offer promotions to ensure that waiting in line to visit IKEA Tampa will be an exciting and memorable event,” said Monica Varela, IKEA Tampa store manager.
Visitors to the store will have many opportunities to benefit from IKEA Tampa’s grand opening.
- Take a Seat (And We Mean Take It!) – The first 100 adults (18 and over) in line at the IKEA Tampa grand opening on May 6, 2009 will receive a free POÄNG armchair.
- Pick a Card, Any Card – The first 2,500 people to visit IKEA Tampa on May 6, 2009 will receive a random prize envelope with IKEA Gift Cards ranging from $10 to $250, or a “Buy One, Get One Free” cinnamon bun, hotdog or frozen yogurt voucher.
- You Say It’s Your Birthday – Visitors who bring proof to IKEA Tampa on May 6 that it is their birthday will receive a $10 gift card.
- For the (Truly) Young at Heart – The first 100 children (under 18) in line at IKEA Tampa’s grand opening on May 6, 2009 will receive a free FAMNIG heart-shaped cushion.
- Enter to Win When Entering our Home – From May 6 through May 10, 2009, visitors to IKEA Tampa may enter a drawing to win one of ten $1,000 IKEA Gift Cards. IKEA will match the prizes (a total of $10,000) with a home furnishings donation to Child Abuse Council of Hillsborough County, a local agency aimed at helping children and strengthening families.
- It’s Easy Being Green – On Thursday, May 7, IKEA will distribute to customers 500 three-inch tropical plants, representing IKEA roots planted in Tampa.
- Play Big and Eat Big (If You’re Little!) – Entertainment for kids, such as balloon artists, will take place at IKEA Tampa from May 6 through May 10. Kids also can enjoy macaroni-and-cheese as well as other meals, starting at 99¢.
For information about IKEA, please go to www.IKEA-USA.com.